Clonkeen College Parents Association Constitution
- This body shall be known as Clonkeen College Parents Association (“Parents Association”).
- Membership shall be confined to parents and guardians of boys attending Clonkeen College.
- The objectives of the Parents Association shall be:
- To be a voice for all parents of Clonkeen College students
- To promote and contribute to the educational and general welfare interests of pupils in the school in cooperation with the board, principal, teachers and students of the school.
- To act as an advisory body on major school issues.
- To foster social and recreational activities amongst parents/guardians and pupils in the school.
- The Parents Association shall not concern itself with the day to day management of the school.
- The Parents Association shall seek to have two representatives of parents/guardians from each year in the school as members of the Parents Association; notwithstanding the maximum number of members shall be fifteen.
- Officers of the Parents Association shall be Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary and PRO.
- A quorum at a meeting of the Parents Association shall consist of six ordinary members and any two officers. The Parents Association meeting shall not take place unless a quorum is present.
- Any vote of the Parents Association must be carried by majority vote of the Parents Association members, subject to the provisions of clauses 7 and 20.
- Membership of the Parents Association shall be ratified at the Annual General Meeting, which is open to all parents and which is normally held each October.
- All Parents Association officers shall be elected/re-elected at the last meeting of the Academic year (May), for the coming year. The remaining ten positions will be nominated and elected at the AGM in October, subject to clause 5 above. No officer position shall be held for more than two consecutive years by the same person. For this election a majority will consist of 75% of a quorum.
- Once elected an ordinary member shall serve for a maximum term of two consecutive years, unless elected as an Officer, in which case they may serve for a further two years (as at clause 10 above) as an Officer. No person may serve for a term of more than four consecutive years. No person may be re-elected to the Association having served as an Ordinary Member or as an Officer, without a minimum rest period of one Academic year.
- In the event of vacancies, co-option to the Parents Association and the filling of any vacancies will be at the discretion of the Association, which shall ensure the representation of all years on the Clonkeen College Parents Association.
- All funds raised by the Parents Association shall be lodged in a timely manner to the bank accounts of Clonkeen College which are operated under the auspices of the Board of Management of Clonkeen College (“Board of Management”). All proposed disbursements from the funds raised by the Parents Association up to the amount of €500 shall be approved in advance by the Parents Association and the Principal for the time being of Clonkeen College. All proposed disbursements exceeding the amount of €500 when approved by the Parents Association and the Principal for the time being of Clonkeen College must be sanctioned and approved by the Board of Management before disbursement is made. All such approved disbursements shall be made in accordance with the terms of the current bank mandate for the operation of the bank accounts of Clonkeen College. The Treasurer shall present a statement of expenditure and requests for expenditure at each monthly Parents Association meeting, The Treasurer shall produce an Annual Statement of Accounts for the Annual General Meeting each year
- Any Amendments to the Constitution of the Parents Association must first be approved by the Board of Management and if approved must be ratified by a majority vote of the Parents Body at the Annual General Meeting.
- Notice of the Annual General Meeting and the Agenda shall be circulated to all parents/guardians at least two weeks before the Annual General Meeting
- An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called at the request, in writing, of the representatives of at least 10% of families of boys attending the school. The purpose of the meeting must be stated in the written notice, which will be circulated at least seven days before the Extraordinary General Meeting.
- If a member does not attend three consecutive meetings without apology, in an Academic Year, they will be deemed to have resigned from the Parents Association, unless continuance as a member is ratified by the Parents Association.
- The Parents Association has the right to nominate the two parent representatives to the Board of Management when requested by the Board of Management for a term that normally lasts 3 years. This is done by a vote of parents at the Annual General Meeting. The Parents Association must have one male and one female representative.
- No member of the Parents Association shall represent the Parents Association without a majority vote of the Parents Association.
- The Parents Association shall reserve the right to expel a member of the Parents Association subject to a majority vote by the Parents Association. For this vote a majority shall consist of 75% of the quorum.