Clonkeen College’s Green – Schools Committee has been working towards their Energy flag this year. We have been raising awareness in school and now want to share some of our tips for saving energy with the local community.
Here are some simple steps to follow at home:
- Use energy efficient light bulbs (compact fluorescent light bulbs). These bulbs use ¼ of electricity as normal light bulbs and last up to 12 times longer!
- Simply switch off the lights when you leave the room. During the summer months maximise the amount of natural sunlight.
- Turn off appliances when not in use. Remember, leaving appliances on stand-by uses energy so remember to switch them off.
- Turn down the heat! Turning the thermostat down by 1°C can reduce your heating bills by 10%.
- Turn off the taps! A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in one week wastes enough hot water to fill half a bath, so fix leaking taps and make sure they’re fully turned off!